The costs below represent the costs involved in making an application to have my Sri Lankan citizenship resumed whilst also keeping my Australian citizenship. I thought this information might be useful to other adoptees who want to obtain dual citizenship.
I have incurred these costs regardless of whether my application is approved or not.
- Criminal record check: $53
- Photocopying of large documents in colour: $5
- Passport sized photos: $17
- Justices of the Peace certification: $0
- University verification: $0
- Notary public notarisation: $140
- Travel to Sydney Passport Office for DFAT* authentication: $17
- DFAT* authentication fee: $40
- Stamped, self-addressed envelope to obtain receipt from Consulate: $1
- Money order for Consulate processing fee: $9
- Consulate processing fee: $35
- Consulate fee for confirming that academic qualifications have been suitably verified and notarised: $35
- Second money order for Consulate processing fee: $9**
Total costs incurred in applying for dual citizenship to date: $371
Possible future cost: Dual citizenship fee of LKR 250,000*** (approx. AUD $2415). The dual citizenship fee is only payable if a person’s application for dual citizenship is approved.
*DFAT – Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
** I had to pay for this additional money order because it was not clear to me at the time of paying the original Consulate processing fee that a fee was payable if the applicant applies for resumption of citizenship on the basis of academic qualifications. So I sent the fee and the Consulate later called me to advise that I needed to pay an additional fee.
*** I have read that this fee will be increased by LKR 50,000 in 2016 to 300,000 LKR.